Training Course for Parent Educators and Facilitators of Parenting Groups
This course aims to enhance the parent educators and parenting group facilitators’ capacity to work with the parents in developing more of a self in their relationship with their children, i.e. to facilitate the parents to work on their emotional maturity, so that in turn they can raise emotionally mature children and build better connections with their children.
This course is based on Bowen family systems theory which focuses on developing the emotional maturity of the parents, rather than on simply solving the problems of the children.
- To enhance the participants’ capacity to adopt a systemic perspective of parenting issues and children problems.
- To understand the role of anxiety in family functioning and its impact on parent-child relationships, and children’s behaviors.
- To develop the participants’ own neutrality and objectivity in relating with parents.
- To understand the impact of emotional processes on parent-child relationships, and the functioning of the parents and children.
- To learn how to facilitate parents to develop principles, I-positions, rational thinking, appropriate boundaries, and emotional self-regulation in their parenting
- A systemic way of looking at the child’s problems. Difference between linear perspective and systemic perspective
- Anxiety and its impact on family functioning, parent-child relationships, and children’s behaviours
- Helping parent to work on their own emotional maturity, balancing the two life forces
- Child focused families
- Reciprocal functioning
- Sibling position
- The worker’s neutrality and observational ability
|Course Code:||PE 02/20|
|Date & Time:||To be confirmed,
6:45 pm – 9:45 pm
|Fee:||HKD $3,200 / person (COF Membership HKD $3,100)|
|Venue:||International Social Service Hong Kong Branch
6/F, Southorn Centre, 130 Hennessy Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
|Targets:||Parent educators, parent group facilitators, teachers, and related helping professionals|
|Instructor:||Mrs. Peggy Chan B.Soc.Sc., M.Ed., R.S.W.|
|Language:||Cantonese supplemented with English|
Mrs. Peggy Chan B.Soc.Sc., M.Ed., R.S.W.
Peggy Chan is presently Director of Programme, ISS Family Institute, International Social Service Hong Kong Branch. She also teaches at a local university counseling programme. She has over 20 years of experience in counseling individuals and families, conducting clinical supervision, and training professionals. She has attended five years of the Postgraduate Program on Bowen Family Systems Theory and Its Applications at the Bowen Center for the Study of the Family in Washington, DC, U.S.A. Prior to that, she had also attended the 2-year training program on Family Systems Therapy at Pacific Coast Family Therapy Association in Vancouver, Canada. She has devoted herself to understanding the Bowen theory and applying it to her clinical work and daily life since the early 1990s.
She has rich experience of counselling a wide variety of clients and problems, both in Hong Kong and in Vancouver. Her areas of specialization include marital and women‘s issues, sexual issues, loss and grief, parent-child relationship difficulties, and cultural adaptation.
You may download the application form as below, or proceed for online enrollment.
Click here for application form in word format
Click here for application form in PDF format